underwater lab disaster
I think this dream was part of a longer dream, but unfortunately I can't remember the rest of it now.
There was some sort of underwater research facility. In an unusual twist, this wasn't on the bottom of the ocean or tethered to the bottom. Instead, there were two long parallel cables which seemed to be attached to something off in the distance at either end. Only you couldn't see the ends, thanks in part to how far off they went, how dark it was, and the usual murkiness of seawater. The scene, as set before me, seemed rather placid. If not for the eeriness of the darkness going off in all directions, this could have been one of those places to go to relax and meditate.
I had a sense of foreboding, as though there was some unfortunate change in water pressure, sort of like an underwater tidal wave. And it was due to arrive at any instant.
This research facility was connected to both cables, thus providing horizontal stability for the most part. There were various research samples hanging from nets or lines or whatever, and there was a very soft glow coming from them. It was as though these samples had been the result of considerable work, and it just made the most sense to keep them dangling from the underside of the research lab.
Now in the middle of this research lab where it was somewhat thinner in construction, there was a horizontally-oriented propeller with a surrounding hub. Ordinarily it wasn't turned on, but in cases where some minor maneuvering was called for, the scientists inside would use it. The use was fairly rudimentary: turn on the thrust in one direction to cause the lab to roll gently one way, and have the thrust go in the reverse direction to cause the lab to roll gently the other way.
The key issue was that what with this major underwater wave moving in, there was no telling whether the lab would be able to stay upright. Even with them using the propeller to adjust its orientation.
I don't really remember seeing any people, I just knew they were there. If anything, I was on the outside reviewing the entire scene, and feeling somewhat unsafe out there. Exposed. And yet, I knew that being inside the lab was no guarantee of safety. But I also realized I didn't have too many other options.
At this point, I somehow ended up inside, and the force majeure outside was starting to kick in. I could hear the propeller starting up, trying to fight the force which was trying to roll the lab one way. Then the lab started rolling the other way, and they were scrambling to try and keep up with the propeller. And so it went.
I don't recall how it turned out. I do recall thinking that perhaps all those research samples would have to be jettisoned in order to save the research vessel.
There was some sort of underwater research facility. In an unusual twist, this wasn't on the bottom of the ocean or tethered to the bottom. Instead, there were two long parallel cables which seemed to be attached to something off in the distance at either end. Only you couldn't see the ends, thanks in part to how far off they went, how dark it was, and the usual murkiness of seawater. The scene, as set before me, seemed rather placid. If not for the eeriness of the darkness going off in all directions, this could have been one of those places to go to relax and meditate.
I had a sense of foreboding, as though there was some unfortunate change in water pressure, sort of like an underwater tidal wave. And it was due to arrive at any instant.
This research facility was connected to both cables, thus providing horizontal stability for the most part. There were various research samples hanging from nets or lines or whatever, and there was a very soft glow coming from them. It was as though these samples had been the result of considerable work, and it just made the most sense to keep them dangling from the underside of the research lab.
Now in the middle of this research lab where it was somewhat thinner in construction, there was a horizontally-oriented propeller with a surrounding hub. Ordinarily it wasn't turned on, but in cases where some minor maneuvering was called for, the scientists inside would use it. The use was fairly rudimentary: turn on the thrust in one direction to cause the lab to roll gently one way, and have the thrust go in the reverse direction to cause the lab to roll gently the other way.
The key issue was that what with this major underwater wave moving in, there was no telling whether the lab would be able to stay upright. Even with them using the propeller to adjust its orientation.
I don't really remember seeing any people, I just knew they were there. If anything, I was on the outside reviewing the entire scene, and feeling somewhat unsafe out there. Exposed. And yet, I knew that being inside the lab was no guarantee of safety. But I also realized I didn't have too many other options.
At this point, I somehow ended up inside, and the force majeure outside was starting to kick in. I could hear the propeller starting up, trying to fight the force which was trying to roll the lab one way. Then the lab started rolling the other way, and they were scrambling to try and keep up with the propeller. And so it went.
I don't recall how it turned out. I do recall thinking that perhaps all those research samples would have to be jettisoned in order to save the research vessel.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home