Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Good friends, travel abroad, and a roadtrip!

Through some strange setup I'd managed to get together with my good friend Rob in this dream.

Rob came by my place to pick me up, and he already had a couple other friends in his SUV. It was a snowy day, so the roads were a bit slick. Once inside his SUV, the inside seemed exceptionally roomy, like the inside of a large utility truck. The windshield, instead of sloping back like you'd expect, it sloped forward. And it was completely flat. It was also partitioned, suggesting like there was a way to roll down the center portion (similar to the back window of a 1964 Mercury Meteor, only facing forwards).

I discovered that we were doing a roadtrip. To South America. Whoa. I wasn't aware of any particular destination, other than somewhere in the northwest area of South America.

As we got somewhat close (but still a good day or so away), Rob pointed out that we could take a shortcut and save a day of travel. This particular shortcut meant that we would have to leave the SUV and swim underwater. For two hours! Riiiiight.

But you know how dreams go. Anything's possible, including holding your breath for a couple hours underwater. ;-)

So down we went. We found some underwater tunnel and started our swim. Before I knew it, we were there.

Once there, we hung out and had a great time. At one point I noticed something a bit peculiar about one of Rob's friends. Rob traced some comments with his finger on the side of a clear plastic drinking bottle, which basically said, "Hey, I know you're going to notice some strange things about my friend, but I expect everyone to behave like adults." Given that Rob is normally pretty easygoing, the tone of this note was quite serious.

I wanted to acknowledge to Rob that I completely understood, and wiped his note off the bottle, trying my hand at writing my own note back to him. Every attempt just looked illegible, so I ended up quickly writing a large word, "PARTY" and tossed the bottle back to him before his friend came over to see what was going on.

It was around that time that I noticed Rob's friend had a tiny hole in the back of his head. It looked like a birth defect. Then I noticed he had a much larger hole about an inch or so below the first hole, somewhat triangular in shape, about 2" across the base and 1" tall. Again, it looked like a natural growth. Well, perhaps an unnatural growth, but it appeared to be healthy otherwise.

The more we hung out together, the more peculiar things I discovered about Rob's friend. I suddenly noticed that instead of having a normal ribcage, it was like someone had grabbed the center of his chest and pulled. His ribs were poking forwards with a horizontal gap of about 8-12" between the left and right ribs. This is where he started looking a little less healthy. And yet, he seemed to manage well enough, despite this issue. It's not like he was bleeding all over the place. :-P

Then I noticed that Rob's friend had some bizarre sort of muscular/flesh atrophy in his legs. His right leg seemed to be on the scrawny side, at least from the knee down. And his left leg was completely absent of flesh from about the knee on down. At one point he even detached his left shin from his knee and stood on his right leg while resting against a short wall. It was like he was taking a short break. Then he reached down and popped it back into place and went about his business.

At some point he was nearby (in the water, I think) and I felt something scratching my leg. I realized that it felt like toenails. At first, anyway. I then realized that it was the tips of the toe-bones of Rob's friend's bony, fleshless foot. I felt a curious mix of creepy and annoyed, before he realized he had made an awkward faux pas before moving his foot.

Except for Rob's strange friend, the vacation spot seemed great. I definitely remember the water feeling comfortably warm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home