Our new robot overlords
This dream was particularly crisp when I had it.
It takes place in the future, where high technology and robotics rules the world. Which of course sounds like many sci-fi movies we've all seen.
My perspective of the dream was like a camera following the protagonist around. He had decided to join a revolt against the new high-tech overlords by ceasing to do tech upgrades. The overlords, of course, didn't take kindly to this, but decided to order him back to work and then decide what to do with him.
My sense (as the audience/viewer) was that it wouldn't go well, that they would just use him to finish the task, then dispose of him.
The protagonist would do his upgrades by climbing these tall poles, which were likes the masts of large sailing ships, and would manage a controlled glide/slide downwards, all while pointing a blue laser light at the appropriate spots. The masts/riggings would glow faintly of blue as he worked.
At one point he ended up in this oddly shaped chamber with curved stainless steel walls. The room was more roundish than cubic; there wasn't one flat surface. And yet the walls weren't completely featureless, either. There were signs of pieces which had been engineered and fastened together with stainless steel screws, rubber seals and the like.
The protagonist was in this room for some reason, and quietly announced that he was finished with his work at last. Which is when the ominous feeling kicked up a few notches.
He stepped out of the room into a larger room, and as soon as he had done so, the doorway separating the two rooms closed immediately in a rather watertight fashion. Except that the protagonist was on the other side of the door, and the camera/audience/me was sealed inside this strangely shaped room.
Then I heard what sounded like an automated announcement, something like "Floodgates to southeast quadrant opening...", followed by the sound of metal creaking and moving.
Somehow I knew what was going to happen next.
A porthole in the room popped open, and the room started to fill with water. And as the water level quickly rose, I could see on the opposite side where what appeared to be the still-closed drain porthole was silently waiting for the next step.
The water level continued to rise, and the air gap grew smaller. And finally the supply of water shut off, followed immediately by the other porthole snapping open. The flood of water dragged me towards the hole.
I took a deep breath. Because for some reason, it was no longer the perspective of a camera, it was me. Or maybe it was me, as a breathing camera? The camera was floating and bobbing, but headed inexorably towards the drainhole.
As I held my breath, I seemed to stop moving through the outbound porthole. Things just seemed to stop moving. Which is when I awoke.
It takes place in the future, where high technology and robotics rules the world. Which of course sounds like many sci-fi movies we've all seen.
My perspective of the dream was like a camera following the protagonist around. He had decided to join a revolt against the new high-tech overlords by ceasing to do tech upgrades. The overlords, of course, didn't take kindly to this, but decided to order him back to work and then decide what to do with him.
My sense (as the audience/viewer) was that it wouldn't go well, that they would just use him to finish the task, then dispose of him.
The protagonist would do his upgrades by climbing these tall poles, which were likes the masts of large sailing ships, and would manage a controlled glide/slide downwards, all while pointing a blue laser light at the appropriate spots. The masts/riggings would glow faintly of blue as he worked.
At one point he ended up in this oddly shaped chamber with curved stainless steel walls. The room was more roundish than cubic; there wasn't one flat surface. And yet the walls weren't completely featureless, either. There were signs of pieces which had been engineered and fastened together with stainless steel screws, rubber seals and the like.
The protagonist was in this room for some reason, and quietly announced that he was finished with his work at last. Which is when the ominous feeling kicked up a few notches.
He stepped out of the room into a larger room, and as soon as he had done so, the doorway separating the two rooms closed immediately in a rather watertight fashion. Except that the protagonist was on the other side of the door, and the camera/audience/me was sealed inside this strangely shaped room.
Then I heard what sounded like an automated announcement, something like "Floodgates to southeast quadrant opening...", followed by the sound of metal creaking and moving.
Somehow I knew what was going to happen next.
A porthole in the room popped open, and the room started to fill with water. And as the water level quickly rose, I could see on the opposite side where what appeared to be the still-closed drain porthole was silently waiting for the next step.
The water level continued to rise, and the air gap grew smaller. And finally the supply of water shut off, followed immediately by the other porthole snapping open. The flood of water dragged me towards the hole.
I took a deep breath. Because for some reason, it was no longer the perspective of a camera, it was me. Or maybe it was me, as a breathing camera? The camera was floating and bobbing, but headed inexorably towards the drainhole.
As I held my breath, I seemed to stop moving through the outbound porthole. Things just seemed to stop moving. Which is when I awoke.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home