Markie Post? W00t!
Somehow I ended up meeting Markie Post. She was married or in some other committed relationship. Her other half wasn't around, though.
We'd met casually a few times. Now, whether I was feeling cute or goofy or whatever, I ended up getting her not 1 but like 5-6 greeting cards. I filled them all out, and just basically handed them all to her in a wad.
She hesitated, thinking that maybe I thought some prior meeting was deeper than it was. Maybe I did? I dunno. But my reality check had already come through, so I'd devised a case of plausible deniability.
I shrugged, told her that they were all pretty cool cards, that I didn't want to spend a lot of time trying to figure out the best or perfect card, that by getting them all for her, she could just pick her fave and it wasn't on me to worry about.
She hesitated again, thinking back to some early meeting with me. "So... that one time we met... you didn't think...?"
I looked at her, puzzled. I vaguely recalled something, but.... "Think what? I don't know what you're referring to."
She said, "You don't remember that one time...?"
I said, "Sorry, drawing a blank."
She seemed a little relieved, but a little puzzled at the same time. As if surely I would have remembered something like that, because after all, she's Markie Post.
So her skittishness seemed to subside. And we went back to just hanging out.
We'd met casually a few times. Now, whether I was feeling cute or goofy or whatever, I ended up getting her not 1 but like 5-6 greeting cards. I filled them all out, and just basically handed them all to her in a wad.
She hesitated, thinking that maybe I thought some prior meeting was deeper than it was. Maybe I did? I dunno. But my reality check had already come through, so I'd devised a case of plausible deniability.
I shrugged, told her that they were all pretty cool cards, that I didn't want to spend a lot of time trying to figure out the best or perfect card, that by getting them all for her, she could just pick her fave and it wasn't on me to worry about.
She hesitated again, thinking back to some early meeting with me. "So... that one time we met... you didn't think...?"
I looked at her, puzzled. I vaguely recalled something, but.... "Think what? I don't know what you're referring to."
She said, "You don't remember that one time...?"
I said, "Sorry, drawing a blank."
She seemed a little relieved, but a little puzzled at the same time. As if surely I would have remembered something like that, because after all, she's Markie Post.
So her skittishness seemed to subside. And we went back to just hanging out.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home