Back at university again
I was passing through what was supposed to be my old university. I hadn't really planned on staying there, but was given a residence room to have for as long as I needed it. But it didn't have a bed.
Someone elsewhere in university offered me a bed for the taking, but that it was up to me to move it to my room. An acquaintance offered to help me do the move, so we grabbed a couple pieces and started the hike across campus.
We got the first pass done. I found a memo which explicitly invited me and a small handful of others to come visit a professor about something. I had no idea what this was about. Regardless, I showed up at the appointed time, feeling a little put out and a little confused.
The professor spent time chatting with each of the students, about 10-15 mins each. About what, I didn't know, but I was starting to get a sense as to what it might be.
By time time I was called, I was fairly irritated. I pointed out that I had no idea why I was there to begin with, only that I was meant to be there. The memo had no agenda specified, so I pointed out that in my many years of professional work where there was a formal meeting invitation, it had always specified the agenda. I didn't come right out and insult the professor, but I made it known that I was pretty upset at this oversight.
I even went so far as to say that I thought I had come up with what it might possibly be about, but that in order to avoid being embarrassingly wrong, that it would be best if he just told me. I then hastily added that I might in fact be embarrassingly right as to my guess.
My guess was that we were all there to talk briefly about what our plans were for our Masters' theses, and if provocative enough, he would give the nod. But I had no plans to be in the Masters programme, I had no desire to write a Masters thesis, and therefore I had no desire to partake in any such judgement as to my worth thereof. Which just added to my irritation, because it turned out I was right on the money.
From that point on, all I could think about was that I needed to get to class, what an appalling waste of time that meeting had been, and so on.
Someone elsewhere in university offered me a bed for the taking, but that it was up to me to move it to my room. An acquaintance offered to help me do the move, so we grabbed a couple pieces and started the hike across campus.
We got the first pass done. I found a memo which explicitly invited me and a small handful of others to come visit a professor about something. I had no idea what this was about. Regardless, I showed up at the appointed time, feeling a little put out and a little confused.
The professor spent time chatting with each of the students, about 10-15 mins each. About what, I didn't know, but I was starting to get a sense as to what it might be.
By time time I was called, I was fairly irritated. I pointed out that I had no idea why I was there to begin with, only that I was meant to be there. The memo had no agenda specified, so I pointed out that in my many years of professional work where there was a formal meeting invitation, it had always specified the agenda. I didn't come right out and insult the professor, but I made it known that I was pretty upset at this oversight.
I even went so far as to say that I thought I had come up with what it might possibly be about, but that in order to avoid being embarrassingly wrong, that it would be best if he just told me. I then hastily added that I might in fact be embarrassingly right as to my guess.
My guess was that we were all there to talk briefly about what our plans were for our Masters' theses, and if provocative enough, he would give the nod. But I had no plans to be in the Masters programme, I had no desire to write a Masters thesis, and therefore I had no desire to partake in any such judgement as to my worth thereof. Which just added to my irritation, because it turned out I was right on the money.
From that point on, all I could think about was that I needed to get to class, what an appalling waste of time that meeting had been, and so on.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home