Thursday, May 17, 2007

Taking a test

I woke up in the wee hours, and it took me a couple hours to get back to sleep. :-( No idea why. When I finally did get back to sleep, I did dream. What follows is the residual recollection of that dream.

I was going through some old notes/papers that I thought maybe I should throw out, when I remembered that I'd chatted previously with some woman on the phone. I went through the familiar-looking paperwork, looking for her phone number. I was fairly sure I was close, but I never did find it.

However, I did notice that on one notepad, the bottom of each page had the info regarding my dad's medical practice. His name and title, and the beginnings of all of his credentials. (There was a time many years ago when I saw his letterhead, and asked him to explain all the letters of accreditation after his name. It went on for quite a while. I knew my dad had spent quite a few years in school and such, but never knew.) I was pleased with the discovery, but the paper was a bit old, and as such, each page of the notepad had been damaged slightly, in more or less the exact same place. I could see his name, but none of the letters after his name. Bah.

As I was going through the notes, I realized I needed to write a test. I found the paper, and started working my way through it. Seemed pretty simple at the time. Then someone told me I needed to relocate to the test room, so I started to head off.

Then people were coming and going, and I felt I needed to get a move on. So as I started making my way out, I passed through several pairs of automatic glass doors, where there was a conveyor belt in front of one of the doors, feeding outwards. I hypothesized that if one were to do something to the door in a certain way, the conveyor would stop, or the doors would stay open, or something like that.

I eventually found the test room, and headed on in. It wasn't big, just long and narrow. Maybe 30 feet long. There was a countertop with a bunch of chairs lined up next to it. Other people were already there. The countertop was a mess, covered with loose papers and various notes. I found a seat pretty quickly and easily, but I had to step on the discarded clothing of others, the floor was that messy. I think most of the clothing belonged to a bunch of giggly young women who weren't taking the test seriously. Everyone seemed to notice my arrival, but didn't pay much attention. I simply got comfy and continued writing the test.

I came to a question which made me stop and think. It was essentially "Write a regular expression which will match any single character, regardless of what it is, and regardless of whether it has a length of one or longer." And I thought along the lines of, "Wow... that's quite a tall order, to remember all of that. Hm... well, there's 0-9, there's a-z, there's A-Z, there are the various special characters, there's the wildcard '*', there's the single-character match '.'...." As far as I knew, I couldn't remember all that I needed to complete the question.

I woke up moments later, and realized that I didn't need all of that, just ".*" would have sufficed. :-P

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home