Monday, May 14, 2007

The limo driver

In this dream, an old business acquaintance of mine (himself a smooth-talking opportunist) asked me if I would mind being a limo driver for the evening, taking a VIP around town to wherever she wanted to go. So seeing as how it seemed like a perfectly reasonable request (in dreamland, anyway), I took him up on it.

The VIP was already in the car. The car had a strange layout, and at some point someone wanted to have a chat with her. As a result, I was looking all over for the button to roll down her window for her.

While I never really got a good look at her, she seemed pleasant enough. The only place I can remember her asking to visit was some nightclub called "Motel ______", where the 'hotel' version seemed like a common enough hotel name to me. I didn't know where it was, but called around and got confirmation that it was somewhere on the airport strip. This was near Toronto, I should add.

At one point I needed to turn the limo around, and somehow lost control of it. The back end fishtailed 180 degrees, we ended up on the grassy embankment, and the car slowly slid down the damp grass until it ended up in something like a very well taken care of ditch, just wide enough for a car, as it turns out.

Once in the ditch, the car changed directions and slowly slid backwards. The sides of the ditch became walls of buildings. The car stopped sliding just before hitting a third wall.

Resigned, I told my passenger to stay put and I'd go for help. Oddly, I didn't even once try to just drive out of there.

One fuzzy disconnect later, suddenly I'm working on a Data General system belonging to the aforementioned consultant. I'm trying to patch the AOS/VS kernel on it. The experience was fairly Linux-like, only somewhat menu-driven. The fix was subtle, but kept it from throwing false errors as it had been doing.

Someone had gotten their knickers in a twist because I'd patched that system without authorization. And yet, the system wasn't in production use. Or any sort of organized use. It was just some system parked off in a corner of a building, tagged with the name of that consultant. They were also alarmed that the patch hadn't gone through any sort of peer review, and that I would go around patching all the other systems without first getting it blessed. It's relieving to know that I know how the game is played during my waking hours.

To the consultant: RG, I know it's highly unlikely you're reading this, but I hope you're doing well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home